Estimated Market Size
According to The Endometriosis Association, endometriosis affects 5.5 million women in the United States and Canada and millions more worldwide.
- 71-87% of women with chronic pelvic pain suffer from endometriosis.
- 25-40% of infertility cases are believed to be the result of endometriosis.
- Endometriosis is believed to be the cause in 53% of the cases of teenagers with severe cramps.
Current Standard of Care
- Pain medication
- Hormone therapy
- Oral contraceptives and progestins
- Gonadotropin releasing hormone agonists, (GnRH agonists), for example, Lupron® (leuprolide acetate). Chronic administration of GnRH agonists reduces the number of GnRH receptors and thereby blocks the action of GnRH in stimulating the pituitary to secrete FSH and LH.
- GnRH agonists tend to promote bone loss
- Treatment limited to not more than six months concurrently.
- Upon cessation of treatment, symptoms typically return within a short time period.
- Conservative surgery